Sunday, October 31, 2010

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!!

Social networking is no longer just a fun way for friends to share with each other. It has become a powerful connection tool. Businesses and employers are looking to get a better picture of potential hires. People are connecting and networking to promote business or themselves. If the educational system does not acknowledge this presence, I believe education will be further removed from the real world. This is a hard topic to teach. In some ways I don't know how effective it would be. This is a "social" network. To me teaching people social dynamics would allow them to utilize these tools by default.

I am a little torn between putting lots of money into improving technology and just making the best with what already is in use. I don't have specifics into the cost vs. profit margins of the use of upgraded tech. I would be very interested in finding these numbers out. My business side looks at what is presently out there, or at least at the hospital that I work. We use a large and very integrated computer system. The pros for using it is that things run a lot smoother. There is much less discussion over handwriting issues for example. The main con in my mind that I see everyday is that orders are not always put in the way they are carried out. Nursing staff does a lot of interpretation based on patient condition. I was not around long prior to our use of the computer system. This may be a part of nursing that will always be there.

To blend my two topics, I believe a major benefit of teaching how to use all these new programs could alleviate some of the basic interface problems that unfamiliar users have. Also, the advancement of human interface design would make technology more intuitive and less of a skill to be learned. The one thing I am certain of is that no matter what, technology will continue to advance and become more integrated into every aspect of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment